Southern Sydney Freight Line Upgrade And Station Refurbishment
The Southern Sydney Freight Line (SSFL) initiative is part of a larger project to boost growth in the sharing of modes of rail. It aims to enhance the ability to move freight through the city, via rail, with a specific focus between the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal (MIT) and Port Botany and a proposed Western Sydney Freight Line (WSFL) in the future. Barnwell Cambridge was originally contracted on a construct only basis for the electrical upgrades to Sefton, Cabramatta, Warwick Farm, Casula, Minto, Leumeah, and Campbelltown Railway Stations to facilitate the construction of the Southern Sydney Freight line. The project scope grew substantially on a Design and Construct basis, where a few stations that started as initial power upgrades or services relocations, became complete station refurbishments.
The contracted design documents were supplied as for construction, however with designs not meeting railway standards and without a technical specification, the initial 25 original contracted drawings grew to over 300 drawings and associated advice to the electrical consultant for the upgrade.
The services provided included,
- Design and Engineering Services
- HV Substation,
- LV Isolation Sub-Station
- Level 1 upgrade Works
- Level 3 design works
- Main Switchboards and Distribution Boards
- Mains and Submains Cabling
- Digital Power Metering System
- Lift Supplies and Control Systems.
- Cable Management Systems for LV, Communications, CCTV, ACS, Signals, PIS etc
- Specialist Cabling for Signals Systems
- Passenger Information System
- General Lighting and Power
- Street Lighting Upgrades
- Emergency Escape Lighting and Exit Signage
- Lighting Control System
- Data Communications Cabling Installation
- CCTV Cabling
- Access Control Security System
- Lighting Protection
- Specialist Railway Earthing and Bonding
- Coordination with structure and Other Services
- Infrared Thermal Scanning
- Testing and Commissioning
The acclaimed project was a State and National Winner at the NECA industry awards.